- " I find the book reviews that are completed for H-Net far above those that are published in journals. They are more analytically insightful and have a genuine honesty about their usefulness in the classroom. "
- " The reviews have been an excellent resource for me, in research as well as in teaching. With respect to teaching, due to the online availability of reviews, it's easy to incorporate discussions of recently published literature or recent films in class. "
- " Reviews and queries about syllabi and course design have been most helpful -- like a constant conference round-table that keeps you connected to the field. Especially important these days when travel budgets are an endangered species. "
- " The purchase of (English) academic books for our department now relies entirely on the reviews published at H-Net. "
- " It is really useful to know through reviews about all the research and the areas people are exploring. It is like an ongoing literature survey through my E-mail Inbox. "
- " Even after rotating off as a review editor, I continue to check the reviews in my field religiously. Indeed, I use them as the basis to recommend library purchases each year. "
- " The reviews of books of historical importance and the roundtable discussions are of great interest to me particularly as I am in a somewhat isolated location. "
- " The book reviews are well-written and judicious. I have my undergraduate and graduate students in history use them as models for the book reviews I have them write for class assignments. "
- " The ease of reading the reviews (and the good writing) allows me to read reviews of works I might not other pick up. I share the reviews with colleagues - both around my university and over email - and with students. These sorts of discussions become a great springboard for follow-up discussions over email and at conferences and make me feel much more connected to the academic community than I would otherwise. "
H-Net Reviews in the Humanities and Social Sciences is an online scholarly review resource. Charlotte Weber and Basia Nowak are Editors of H-Net Reviews. Each H-Net discussion network has its own review editor. Once posted to individual H-Net networks, reviews are posted to H-Review and archived on this site. The ISSN for H-Net reviews is 1538-0661.
H-Net Reviews bring a new dimension to the world of academic publishing. Our reviews are published online via discussion networks and the H-Net web site. This permits our reviews to reach scholars with a speed unmatched in any other medium. It also makes a new kind of interactivity possible, as reviewers, authors and readers engage in discussions of the reviews online. Through the power of e-mail and the web H-Net has helped pioneer online scholarly reviewing.
The Reviews archive is separated into annual volumes. You can browse through the volumes or use our powerful search feature to assist in finding reviews. Our review guidelines are available for online reference.
H-NET Reviews Joins Popular Partner Programs for Online Book Vendors!
Readers of H-NET Reviews can now purchase books reviewed by H-NET and earn royalties that support our Reviews program.
You can do this two ways:
Click on any of the following links to enter a vendor's site to search for and purchase a title: